Government - State/Local

Walter Reed Army Medical Center Campus Repair & Restoration Services

SK&A’s Repair & Restoration (R&R) Division has conducted various services for multiple existing buildings (Buildings #1, 4, 12, 14-16, 82 & 90) at the Walter Reed redevelopment site.  Services have included building envelope condition assessments (including waterproofing), garage surveys and repairs, as well as assistance/input regarding  “mothballing” or preservation efforts of various buildings onsite.  Construction administration and quality assurance services are also expected to be provided under future requests.   Examples  of completed projects include:

  • Main (Original) Hospital, Building #1.  The site’s original hospital facility, Building 1, was completed in December 1908.  A red brick, three-story structure with a basement level, the building was designed in the “New Georgian” style of the era, with a white cupola and Corinthian columns.  R&R conducted a condition survey of the overall exterior façade, accessible roof areas, building envelope, and structural components.  Review of later mothballing efforts was also performed.  Overall, the structure was deemed in fair condition, however isolated components, such as the building fenestration, showed signs of distress.  A final condition assessment report was prepared, detailing the observations and providing recommendations for repair and maintenance.
  • Abrams Hall, Building #14.  Built in or around 1976, Abrams Hall is a three-story residential building with three levels of underground parking garage for 487 cars.  An elevated plaza is located on the main level and is generally contained by the building.  In preparation for partial renovation of the building for new senior housing, SK&A provided structural design as well as repair & restoration services.  R&R conducted a facade condition survey, including exploratory investigation services from the ground to roof levels. A final condition assessment report was prepared, detailing the observations and providing recommendations for repair, in addition to photographic documentation and repair cost estimates.  Full façade repair drawings and specifications were provided as well.
  • Central Heating Plant, Building #15.  Built in or around 1918, the former Central Heating Plant is a concrete, two-story building, with primarily brick exterior walls and an addition with a veneer facade.  Similar to Building #1, R&R conducted a condition survey of the exterior façade and building envelope of the building, as well as a review of structural components.  The building was found to be in overall fair condition and a final report summarizing recommended repairs and maintenance.

200 Eye Street, SE

Built in 1957, this former printing facility was a five-story building that included a basement level over pile foundations.  In the early 2000’s, the building was renovated to house a telecommunications firm, which was never occupied.  Floors were filled in on all levels and structural column modifications existed on some floors.

Completed in 2012, the building was converted to office space for occupation by various DC Government agencies.  The lowest level was converted to parking and a new two-level parking garage was constructed adjacent to the existing building on the east side.  Lateral stiffness of the building was enhanced using steel braced frames installed before removing the existing precast façade.  New elevator shafts and interconnecting stairs were framed at existing floor plates. Structural services also included the evaluation of existing structural elements for new loading, green roof evaluation and local strengthening.

The project has received the highest level of LEED certification–Platinum, as well as numerous awards of recognition.

Southern Regional TechRec Complex

Located in Prince George’s County, MD, the Southern Regional TechRec Complex is a state-of-the-art, multigenerational community facility providing a broad range of recreational and technology resources.  The facility’s features include: a double court gymnasium with suspended running track, a large multi-purpose room, fitness rooms, a climbing wall, classrooms, group exercise areas, a kitchen, a professional recording studio, a dance studio, soccer and multi-purpose fields, and parking spaces for 200 cars.  The building also includes a vegetative green roof, cafe and lounge areas, computer and science labs, and an open viewing gallery.

The highlight of the facility’s façade is an expansive multi-colored glass curtain wall system, running the length of the building.  Additional design elements include perforated metal paneling within the exterior façade and a curving steel stairway leading to the mezzanine viewing area.  The building’s design has received multiple awards, including “Public Building of the Year” from the American Institute of Architects’s (AIA)/Maryland, a “Gold Award for Architectural Excellence” from AIA/Potomac Valley and a “Detail Award in Architecture” from AIA/DC.

Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology, University of Maryland

A three-story addition to the biotechnology research center delivered via design-build approach.  The center includes biomedical research labs, lab support, scientific computing, and faculty office space for biotechnology research.  The project also includes a free-standing nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) facility. 

Health Sciences Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore

This state-of-the-art academic facility located in Baltimore serves the university’s schools of medicine, pharmacy, nursing, and dentistry.  The six-level building houses over 360,000 bound volumes, 2,300 periodicals, 900 study seats arranged in a variety of reference rooms, individual carrels, group meeting rooms, and computer stations.  The building’s highly functional and flexible design provides a warm and inviting atmosphere for staff and users making it a focal point for the university’s community.

Brookland Middle School

Replacing the existing outdated and shuttered school, the new Brookland Middle School provides a 21st century learning environment for 540 students.  The facility includes a three-story academic wing, a full-court gymnasium, black box-type performance hall, outdoor learning space above the gymnasium, media center, and administrative support spaces. 

In order to accommodate the project’s aggressive schedule, structural documents were released well in advance of other disciplines, to permit early engagement and the mobilization of structural trades, which allowed the contractor to meet the project deadline.  The project is also slated for LEED Gold certification.

1901 E Street, SE Concrete Repairs

SK&A’s Repair & Restoration Group provided concrete repair services for a corrections facility located at 1901 E Street, SE.  After reviewing the original precast design drawings dated September 1990 and observation of the existing conditions, we identified the deterioration of two precast panels located above the gymnasium that cover the satellite kitchens on the eastern portion of the facility. Both panels showed signs of movement. 

During our investigation, the roofing material and isolated concrete masonry unit (CMU) blocks were removed, uncovering the existing conditions of the connections.  The precast panel connections had failed and the horizontal steel plate (which extends from the concrete slab) was bent downward.  The intermediate level connections were specified to be connected to the concrete slab, similar to the roof level. The panels have three different elevation locations with rigid connections: at the gym roof, the satellite kitchen floor, and the roof level.  After numerous expansion and contraction cycles due to weather, the welds likely reached the point of fatigue and broke, due to the lack of vertical expansion relief.

Our recommendations for pulling the two panels back into their original position included:

  • Shoring the bottom of the panels before inducing any external forces to re-plumb them.
  • Installing three connections per level to properly stabilize each panel (after restoring each panel to its original position).
  • Using the existing embedded plates at the roof and intermediate levels with a new connection installed at the midpoint of each panel.

The new and repaired connection points would accommodate vertical displacement between the precast panel and the concrete slabs by installing bolts with vertical slotted holes in the connection plates and precast.  The two gravity connections at each panel would not need to be reconnected. 

We also recommended installing new gravity connections at the midpoint of each panel at the steel beam level and installing new connections at the midpoints of the panels, to introduce additional redundancy within the system and as a protection from any unforeseen internal damage to the precast panels, embedded plates, and remaining welds that may exist. All of our recommendations were implemented and completed.

Gum Spring Library

A four-story, mixed-use building with a two-level library occupying the first and second floors and two office floors above the library.  The library's first floor contains meeting rooms, circulation, a/v supplies and a children's area.

The second floor features a teen area, media and study areas, books and periodicals, quiet rooms and other seating areas.  Composite steel construction was used in conjunction with reinforced CMU stair towers to efficiently resist lateral loads.

Engine Co. 13 and Hyatt Place Hotel, 400 E Street, SW

A 12-story, contemporary, mixed-use building that incorporates a new fire station, a 214-key Hyatt Place hotel, as well as community and retail spaces.  The fire station (22,000 sf) occupies a partial mezzanine on the 2nd floor as well as the 3rd floor, with both floors connected via an internal stairwell.  The building also has three levels of underground parking under the fire station.  

Located in Washington, DC’s southwest quadrant, just north of the Southwest Freeway, the building features separate street addresses and entrances for the hotel and fire station.  The Hyatt Place’s lobby and parking entrances is located on the 400 block of E Street SW and the fire station’s entrance and apparatus bays is located on the 500 block of 4th Street SW.

The hotel features a state-of-the-art media center, fitness centers, a coffee and wine bar, and a rooftop pool with veranda and bar.  The apparatus bays of the station include radiant-heated floors. 

The project is slated for LEED-NC Silver certification featuring a green roof space on the third floor and rooftop level.

Meridian Public Charter School

Modernization of the existing Harrison School facility, which was originally built in 1890 and later expanded in 1932.  A new structurally independent three-story, 14,000 sf addition was added to the rear of the school, providing additional assembly spaces.

The new addition features a distinctive, wavy wall of glass and metal paneling, that brings a modern element and visual interest to the historic architecture of the existing structure. The renovation also included a new cafeteria, multi-purpose room/gymnasium, library and support spaces.  The project achieved LEED certification for incorporating various sustainable design features.

Structural services provided include the evaluation of the existing roof structure for the introduction of new mechanical equipment and the strengthening of framing, as required.

Pages