A 10-story office building with six levels of underground parking for 458 cars. The project includes a glass canopy-covered atrium space flanked by two existing buildings (c. 1935 and 1953) and a new office wing. The new office floors have large column-free bays (42’x30’) with 11-inch thick post-tensioned concrete slabs.
The atrium canopy is supported by a segmentally-curved steel truss at the center and by adjacent buildings at the edges. The steel “tree” structure in the middle of the atrium acts as the backbone for the canopy support system, which also supports the atrium's glass elevator, seven levels of elevator lobbies and the connecting pedestrian bridges. The 100’ high x 42’ wide glass wall at the east side of atrium is hung from the 10th floor of the new building with stainless steel cables. All exposed steel members and connections conform to AESS.
The project is LEED Gold certified and was featured as the cover story in Civil Engineering magazine's May 2010 issue. The project also won the 2010 Award of Excellence for Best Urban Office over 150,000 SF from NAIOP Maryland/DC Chapter as well as the 2010 Outstanding Project Award for New Buildings $10-$50 Million from the Structural Engineers Association of Metropolitan Washington.