Complete renovation and modernization of an existing historic, Gothic-Revival style complex into a 226-unit luxury apartment residence. Designed in 1929 by Robert O. Scholz, the building was originally an apartment hotel and was later converted to Georgetown University student housing in 1973.
The building’s renovation included additions of new elevators and stairway, design of a rooftop observation deck, restoration of the entire facade and related evaluations for new mechanical/electrical systems, as well as structural usage changes for building amenities. The renovation efforts had to be executed without affecting the building’s original design and character, which was challenging when restoring original building materials such as limestone, brick, plaster, and tile in addition to the replacement of historic doors and windows, that were damaged through the years.
The building was part of a historic preservation program observed by the DC Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service. Portions of the building including the exterior and interior public spaces were designated historic landmarks and designed in a Jacobean-Revival style.