Built in 1957, this former printing facility was a five-story building that included a basement level over pile foundations. In the early 2000’s, the building was renovated to house a telecommunications firm, which was never occupied. Floors were filled in on all levels and structural column modifications existed on some floors.
Completed in 2012, the building was converted to office space for occupation by various DC Government agencies. The lowest level was converted to parking and a new two-level parking garage was constructed adjacent to the existing building on the east side. Lateral stiffness of the building was enhanced using steel braced frames installed before removing the existing precast façade. New elevator shafts and interconnecting stairs were framed at existing floor plates. Structural services also included the evaluation of existing structural elements for new loading, green roof evaluation and local strengthening.
The project has received the highest level of LEED certification–Platinum, as well as numerous awards of recognition.